Dante Leven, DO, PT
Orthopedic Spine Surgeon
Dr. Leven's Biography
Dr. Leven completed his orthopedic surgery residency at the State University of New York at Downstate in Brooklyn, NY. He went on to complete his spine surgery fellowship at Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan and trained extensively with Dr Sheeraz Qureshi in minimally invasive surgery. He also trained with several of the leading spinal deformity and cervical spine surgeons in the country.
Dr. Leven has participated in several research studies and has published extensively in peer-reviewed journals on the topics of spinal surgery, spinal deformity, adolescent idiopathic scoliosis, spinal cord injuries and cervical spine surgery. He has written multiple book chapters on these topics and has collaborated with Becker’s Spine Review on the topics of spinal deformity and minimally invasive surgery.
As an active member of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, North American Spine Society and the Lumbar Spine Research Society, he has presented over 25 papers and over 75 posters at international conferences.
In clinical practice, Dr. Leven’s focus is in minimally invasive surgery, cervical spine surgery and spinal deformity. He is an associate professor with the orthopedic surgery residency program at Nassau University Medical Center and has a strong interest in teaching residents and medical students. As a physical therapist for 10 years prior to pursuing his medical training, he worked extensively with patients suffering from chronic pain, scoliosis, neuromuscular disorders, traumatic injuries and disability. He completed his training with the goal of maximizing his ability to help patients both before, during and after surgery with a comprehensive treatment approach. His compassion for patients comes from hours of working with patients to improve their quality of life and Dr. Leven makes every effort to offer the best surgical option with the least invasive approach.
Dr. Leven has offices in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Bronx, Deer Park and East Meadow and has appointments at Mount Sinai Hospital, Lenox Hill, Nassau University Medical Center, Valley Stream and Beth Isreal Hospital.
- New York State Medical License – Current
- American Board of Orthopedic Surgeons Part 1 Exam – Passed
- Controlled Substance Registration Certificate, Drug Enforcement Administration – Current
- United States Medical Licensing Examination Steps I, II CS and CK – Passed
- National Board of Osteopathic Medical Licensing Examination Steps I, II, III – Passed
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support and Basic Life Support – Certified
- Brooklyn Orthopedic Society Resident Research Award 2016 – Third Place. Curve Severity is Associated with Worsening Thoraco-Pelvic Coordination in Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis
- North American Spine Society Annual Meeting 2015 – Selected for Meet the Author Session. Risk Factors for Readmissions after Posterior Lumbar Fusion
- North American Spine Society Annual Meeting 2015 – Selected for Meet the Author Session. Higher American Society of Anesthesiologist Score is an Independent Risk Factor for Complications Following Adult Deformity Surgery.
- Lumbar Spine Research Society 2014 – Annual Resident Research Award. Risk Factors For Reoperation in Patients Treated Surgically for Intervertebral Disc Herniations, Spinal Stenosis and Degenerative Spondylolisthesis. A sub-analysis of the 8-year data from the SPORT trial.
- Brooklyn Orthopedic Society Resident Research Award 2014 – First Place.Dynamic Changes in Sagittal and Axial Balance in AIS Patients: Can Surgical Realignment Improve Gait Balance?
- University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine, Recruitment, Student and Alumni Services 2010 – Outstanding Leadership and Service Award.
- Psi sigma alpha (medical school honor society) – 2007 through 2010
- Dr. Arthur J. and Judith S. Vanderburgh Scholarship recipient – 2008
- North American Spine Society Member – 2013 – current
- Lumbar Spine Research Society – 2014 – current
- American Academy of Orthopedics Society Member – 2010 – current
- American Medical Association Member – 2006 – current
- Run For Global Health – Biddeford, Maine, Director of Run for Global Health Ultra-marathon.
- Saint Jules Medical Clinic – Petite Bourgne du Bourne, Haiti, Medical assistant and physical therapist.
- Musician: Professional pianist, vocalist, and guitarist.
- Athlete: Running: completed and placed in four marathons in 2005-2012. Finished first place in two 50-mile ultra-marathons in 2007 and 2008. Olympic distance triathlete. Skiing, hiking and golfing.